Thursday 11 November 2010

The Mystery Of The Deadly Double

When Jupiter is kidnapped by mistake, in an attempt by political extremists to unseat the liberal Prime Minister of Nanda, an African nation, the boys are thrust into a tale of international intrigue. Aiding two agents from the Nandan trade mission, it appears that the Prime Minister’s son Ian has gone missing - he and Jupiter are exact doubles (apart from one cleverly revealed thing) - and the kidnappers need him to force his father to stand down. This rockets along, with some thrilling set pieces (the escape, by Jupiter, from his kidnappers being one), great characters and a nice nod to the anti-apartheid movement and has Bob and Pete coming out on top in the detection stakes. Well written, gripping stuff - highly recommended.


I love the hardback cover art for this, which makes the Jones house - for me - reminiscent of Norman Bates' and they obviously realised they couldn't compete with it for the paperback and so went in a completely different direction (see left)

5 comments:

  1. It wasn't until recently that I realized that this story carries a very strong anti-apartheid message. It probably went right over the heads of the younger readers, but in retrospect, it's quite apparent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never realised it either, Ian, until this reading but looking back on the series - as an adult - there are quite a few times that the books confront issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was 12 when I first read this book and I got the anti-apartheid message. I loved this story. It seems to be generally accepted that this is the last strong entry in the series. It would have been nice to end it on a high note here or to either bring in new writers or not accept that "anything goes" in the later books. I remember not really liking Sinister Scarecrow and being indifferent to Shark's Reef. But after that it was right downhill, except for the possible exception of Rogues' Reunion. The other day I read Cranky Collector for the first time. I found myself wondering not why the publishers cancelled the series after this book but rather why they let it go to the dogs like this. New writers and/or more stringent controls could have made the series last much longer.
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a top notch story but I don't agree that it is the last strong entry of the series. There are five or six stories after the unfortunate passing of Mr.Hitchcock that are quite good. This one would crack the Top 10 of all-time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate, hate, HATED this one. It was one of my least favorite entries of the entire series. I just couldn't suspend my disbelief long enough to buy into the whole "perfect double" business. The rest of the book may have been stellar, but I don't remember anything beyond that.

    ReplyDelete